Sunday, March 2, 2008

World's Most Boring Regulatory Commission Issues World's Most Boring Statement

Click the table to enlarge and read it.


Dear Lord,

I'm sure you've noticed I haven't prayed in over a week. That's because during that week, the NRC issued a report saying that Entergy's Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant is safe enough to be re-licensed.

And I got too bored to pray.

The NRC has consistently displayed a conflict of interest in regulating the nuclear industry. Well, "conflict of interest" may be overstating the case. It's not that they're not perfectly ok people doing exactly what they've been hired to do. But remember the saying about "if you don't want to go to war, don't bring in the generals" or something like that? (I'm in PR. It's way beyond my call of duty to remember exact pithy sayings. I just need to remember that there are pithy sayings and then allude to them inexactly.) Well, like generals who (trained to wage war) tend to see waging war as the solution, the NRC (established to enable nuclear power) tends to enable nuclear power.

This is why so few people have responded--either with expressions of support or expressions of outrage. Like me, they slept through the announcement and the whole week, to boot. Like me, they forgot to pray.

Go ahead, Lord. If you haven't already, click the table at the top of this prayer for a really eye-opening "Boring to Boring Comparison." It's probably the only amusing part of this prayer.

Amen,

Fake-Rob

No comments: