Saturday, February 9, 2008

Our Nuke Plant and Joan River's Face

Dear God, Lord!

I worked all day today, Saturday, and missed the lovely snow. I was such a good employee, so responsible to the cause. But just as I was toddling off to bed at 11:37 pm feeling like I'd fought the fight about as well as can be expected for one night, I found this from Laughingmama. It was deep in the heart of one of the comments she left on my All the Nude Terrorists Went Home prayer:
NRC regulations do not limit the number of times a reactor license may be renewed.

A nip here, a tuck there.... Perhaps I've lost my sense of humor. Yes, if we get this license extension it will be good for Entergy, and surely I will survive the months of thankless overtime until we get it. But another license extension after that? And then another?

Haven't they looked at Joan Rivers's face? Pamela Anderson Lee's breasts? The woman on Oprah last September whose lips and cheeks did not move when she talked? Endless attempts at rejuvenation do not always have a pleasant outcome.

Hey, if you think I'm kidding, God, come to the joint NRC and DOE (Department of Energy) public workshop scheduled for Feb. 19-21 at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda, MD. It's on "technical issues and research topics for potential extended operation of the nation’s nuclear power plants beyond 60 years."

Aha! It's impossible I'd have to work on a third license extension. Entergy might still be in the mood to put us all at risk (why wouldn't they be?), but I'll be dead, or pretty close to it, from old age.

Which I'm creeping towards perhaps more quickly than I otherwise might, what with burning all this midnight oil. Gotta get some shuteye.

Amen,

Fake-Rob

No comments: