Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Did the Maintenance Coordinator at Vermont Yankee Get Fired?

Dear God,

I think one of my friends at Vermont Yankee got fired, but we're all so tight-lipped around here, it's hard to know for sure.

I just found this job posted at http://www.nukeworker.com:
Coordinator, Maintenance
Job Category: Maintenance
Posted on: 11/27/2007 by Entergy
Job reference #: 104987

Location
Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant - VT - US-Region I (North East)

[Etc., etc., and then ...]

Job description
Entergy Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. We own and operate power plants, and are the second-largest nuclear generator in the United States. This position will be located at our Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant in Vernon, VT.

[More etc., etc., and then ...]

COORDINATOR MAINTENANCE PROJECTS

• Coordinate departmental activities including work scope evaluations, ...
• Work effectively with the Management Team setting priorities, allocating resources, ...
• Provide feedback ...
• Observe and ensure compliance with procedures and policies ....

[Still more etc., etc. and then ...]

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
6 years commercial or military nuclear work experience. B.S. degree in Engineering or related technical degree may be credited for up to 4 years of experience....

In addition to wondering whether a B.S. in Engineering plus 2 years experience is adequate to oversee all of Maintenance and Compliance at a nuclear power plant, you gotta ask yourself, Lord, if any firing that may have happened was related to the slap on the wrist we got from the NRC about laxity in maintenance.

Actually, I gotta ask myself, Lord, if it's also related to the bad publicity we've gotten lately for laxity in maintenance. Clearly, the maintenance standards have never been all that high, and corporate has tolerated that. So if my friend got fired, is he just a fall guy for bad corporate policy? And could I be about to find out that I'm the fall guy for bad corporate publicity?

I guess I'll know if I find my job posted at http://www.nukeworker.com in the near future, huh?

Fake-Rob

PS: OMG! The job of Coordinator of Preventive Maintenace is listed, too. For that matter, so is the job for Coordinator of Surveillance. Hey! Was there a problem in that department, as well?

Update: In a 1 hour and 15 minute period, my bosses at Entergy have read this prayer nine times. Don't they have actual jobs they should be doing?

No comments: