Monday, July 21, 2008

Leaves of Grass

Dearest Lord,

Remember when you were younger—like, maybe, in your late teens or early 20's—and you'd go to a picnic and maybe eat the wrong brownie like you usually did and all of a sudden you'd realize that the universe is in your thumbnail? And you'd say, like, "Whoa!" and then your friend would go, like, "Whoa!" and then his friend would go, like "Whoa!" and then everyone would be happy and impressed?

Well, imagine how I felt recently when, after having a snack with a dude here in the control room, I realized that, not only is the universe in my living skin cells, it's expanding!

Whoa! No lie, God! Look here! (And click the picture for a bigger view.)



Now, I'm not sure really, God, why I've mentioned this other than I am just so taken by the idea of dark matter and my thumb. Looking at my very own opposable, I am wowed by the trippy insinuations that physics and metaphysics routinely make into my very own life. I mean, really, there's, like, "nuclear" (the universe) and "nuclear" (the job). And then there's, like, "dark" (the sky) and "dark" (the job). And then there's "dark energy" which, when you think about it, is about my job and, indeed, my thumb, because I have to deal with everyone's dark energy and negativity all day long. I just hitch a ride.

Talk about dark energy, man! Did you get a load of that stuff that's hitting the fan around here about the Department of Public Service not letting any of the three members of the Public Oversight Panel accompany representatives of the NRC as they try to figure out what the hey is up with our cooling towers? It's like "'Comprehensive Vertical Audit' Meets 'Vertical Slice Audit' Wars" out there! Duck, Lord! Cause the game is really going to ramp up and those little yellow blobs with teeth are going to start eating all of the dots on the board, including, like, you and even me if we're not careful!

Maybe if everyone would agree to stop using the word "audit" things would calm down. "Vertical" should probably go, too. 'Cause it's confusing, you know? Like, how am I, when talking to the press, supposed to even keep CVA and VSA straight in my head? And, you know, if I hear the words "solid credentials" one more time this week, I'll go, like, "Sick!" and then my friend in the control room will go, like, "Sick!" and then that woman who failed the alcohol test here will go, like, "Sick!" and then we'll all be happy and impressed. Or not.

Did you know, Lord, that objects in the mirror are closer than they appear?

Anyway, the universe is in my thumbnail, Lord. It's in David O'Brien's thumbnail, too, and probably in Arnie Gundersen's, Peter Bradford's, and whoever that third guy on the Public Oversight Panel is. Oh, right. Lawrence Hochreiter. But David O'Brien I do remember, easily, cause he's the head of the Department of Public Service, and that means he's our really good friend. He, I'm thinking, is the guy on our side who is trying to stop the two vertical audits from colliding. Because collisions are really scary, and his job specifically seems to be stopping scary stuff--dark energy stuff, if you know what I mean--from happening. Because dark energy can mean bad news and bad news cycles. I mean, what if the Public Oversight Panel's Comprehensive Vertical Audit finds a problem that the NRC's Vertical Slice Audit doesn't find--and what if the discrepancy happens while the two sets of auditors are looking at the very same square inch of God knows what? Now really, who would that serve? Exactly. And what kind of news cycle would that create? Exactly. And how loudly would my phone start ringing then? Right again. Objects in the mirror, and all that....

My phone is ringing.

... Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me.
Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world
.

Peace to the NRC, Lord. Peace to me. Peace to the DPS. Peace to the Public Oversight Panel, even. Really, to all three of 'em. God bless 'em. Peace to you, too, God. And love. And leaves of grass.

And hey, Lord. Did you hear that, at Indian Point, the third guard since March just tested positive for cocaine?

It's all good,

Fake-Rob xxoo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Fake Rob, I confronted Tony Roisman, DPS Atty., about his opening statement at the ASLB hearing, and told him I thought he was disingenuous and hypocritical in thanking the ASLB for providing poor controversy-addled Vermonters an "independent" review process when the agency he represents was busy stonewalling citizen involvement and oversight of the inspection the Legislature had called for, making a mockery of it's "independence". The NRC's own Inspector General doubts NRC's independence from the industry in regard to the plagiarism in the relicensing evaluation. I told Tony that as a native born Vermonter living now in the EPZ I felt misrepresented and betrayed by the Department of Public Service and I wanted him to know I didn't appreciate it. He replied that we might have representation when we elect Legislators who would appoint the right people to the oversight panel. I told him we'd be working hard to elect a new Governor. He also said, about my living in the EPZ with no voice in the relicensing matter "If I were you, I'd move. " How's that for confidence in the industry you're shilling for. Nice man. Probably on the order of 20.000 people live in the towns surrounding ENVY. Maybe we should all pack up and move and declare it an unsafe zone for all but Entergy employees. Loved your last blog.
Laughing Mama.

Stair Contractors Coral Springs said...

Lovely post, thanks for posting.